Who is a Product Owner?
The product owner, representing the product's stakeholders and the voice of the customer, is responsible for delivering good business results. Hence, the product owner is accountable for the product backlog and maximizes the value that the team delivers. The product owner defines the product in terms of customer-centric outcomes, adds them to the product backlog, and prioritizes them based on importance and dependencies.
What are the responsibilities of a Product Owner?
The primary tasks of the product owner include:
- Define and announce releases.
- Communicate delivery and product status.
- Share progress during governance meetings.
- Share significant RIDAs that are risks, impediments, dependencies, and assumptions with stakeholders.
- Negotiate priorities, scope, funding, and schedule.
- Ensure that the product backlog is visible, transparent, and clear.